History Blog 

Popular H&St.Jo conductor had friends across the state

This house at 800 Broadway, photographed by Charles Doty, shows the residence of Thomas and Fannie Gee, beginning around 1900 and continuing until their respective deaths, in 1915 and 1930. The lot now provides parking for Golden Ruler. STEVE CHOU PHOTO COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Thomas Gee knew a thing or two about the railroads and their rules of operation. In 1877, as a 23-year-old, he began working for the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, and during the next two decades he worked his way up to the coveted position of conductor on the passenger line between St. Joe and Quincy. In that capacity, he cultivated friendships across the state. Forced to abandon his railroad job in August 1

Hannibal jewelers expanded into Quincy, installed landmark clock

This is the former Wells building, on the southwest corner of Fifth and Broadway in downtown Quincy, Ill. In this building from 1905 to circa 1920 was the Brown Jewelry Co., owned and operated by Thomas A. Brown, formerly of Hannibal. Walter Sturhahn, a young jeweler, worked for Mr. Brown until he opened his own store in 1911. Photo courtesy of Steve Sturhahn, who believes that his grandfather Walter is the man pictured at the front entrance to the store. Note the clock at the intersection; that clock has represented Sturhahn Jewelers in Quincy since 1926. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO MARY LOU MONTGOMERY This is the story of a clock. A Quincy clock. It is a Quincy clock story that began with a family f

Rise and fall of Robert Elliott’s financial world

This photo shows Mark Twain Produce at the northeast corner of Third and Church. The building originally housed the Elliott wholesale grocery company. In 2016 it serves as Karlocks Kars and Pop Culture museum and art gallery. STEVE CHOU PHOTO COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Robert Elliott moved his young family to Hannibal, Missouri, during the early part of the 1870s, settling into a town that would ultimately allow him to flourish financially. By 1881, he and Frank W. Wyman were operating a wholesale grocery warehouse at 102-106 North Fourth. In 1884, The Board of Trade of Hannibal elected Robert Elliott as its president. By 1888, he had secured for himself the role of president of the Merc

Crime committed in passion; Mo. governor issues pardon

This building served as Hannibal's courthouse in 1888, when Lincoln Cook was sentenced to serve a 25-year term in the Missouri penitentiary. PHOTO/STEVE CHOU COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY For the Courier-Post How strange it must have seemed to Jacob J. Kirkland, chief of police, and his patrolmen, when Lincoln Cook - just a slip of a man and believed to have been suffering from consumption - came sauntering through the station door during the evening hours of June 8, 1887, admitting his role in a murder. At the time, officers weren’t even aware that a crime had been committed. But they soon found that Lincoln Cook’s words were true. When police arrived at the crime scene, they found Carter

Walk of Fame
6-page July newsletter
Click image to read
6-page August newsletter
Click image to read