History Blog 

Mirtzwa family barbering line may encompass 122 years

Fred Mirtzwa is pictured inside of his barber shop at 114 Bird Street in March 1951. His family may have been barbering in Hannibal for a continuous 122 years, until Fred’s death in 1972. Fred was remembered for giving free haircuts to the children at the Home of the Friendless. OTIS HOWELL PHOTO/STEVE CHOU COLLECTION. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY 1850 “Shaving Bazaar, Temple of Fashion The proprietor tenders his respects to the Gentlemen of Hannibal, and respectfully in forms them that his Barber shop is the place to visit when you wished to be shaved, shampooed or hair dressed, and as he is an experienced hand, flatters himself to execute all business at his command in the most satisfactory manner

Celebrating the barbers who kept men groomed

Cecil Daniels, left, gives a haircut to a young boy - Becker Spaun - circa 1950. CONTRIBUTED MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Nick Long has seen many barbers come and go throughout the years. He started his profession in Nov. 1, 1970, at Richmond, Mo., later worked in Hannibal, and continues working at a shop in New London, Mo. Still proud of his profession, he has an astute memory of and respect for the men who worked as barbers prior to and during his lifetime. “On Main Street in the 1950s, there were barber shops in between the taverns,” Nick said, as he pointed to the business buildings which once served Hannibal’s male clientele. In 1983-84, Larry Daniels, Dennis Studer and Nick Long worked together

Marion County pioneer documented early days

Main Street in Palmyra. Dr. J.N. Coons practiced medicine in Palmyra, Mo., from roughly 1880 to 1901. His office was first located on North Main St., and he later sold that building and moved to the northwest corner of Main and Hamilton streets. After a serious injury resulting from an encounter with a rooster, he and his family moved to Hannibal. STEVE CHOU COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY When Dr. James N. Coons of Marion County closed his eyes in eternal slumber, his vivid memories of the earliest days of this region might have been lost forever. He died at the age of 86 in November 1915. During his lifetime he witnessed the actual development of this part of the state. Luckily, during his

Orchestra filled entertainment needs on both land and water

Polk Burk’s Capital orchestra was scheduled to play in Quincy on April 20, 1924. From Quincy they were scheduled to go to northern Illinois, Indiana and return to St. Louis, where they will rest for two weeks, prior to the opening of their summer’s stand on the excursion Boat, St. Paul. The Burk orchestra first gained prominence on this section of the river when they played on the steamboat, Capitol. Members of the orchestra are the following, Polk Burk, drummer, manager; Max Walkowitz, violin, saxophone; Cliff Jones, banjo; Harold Setterburg, piano; Bud Walker, cornet; Raymond Thurston, trombone; John Young, saxophone, clarinet, oboe and bass clarinet. Quincy Daily Herald, Thursday, April 1

Walk of Fame
6-page July newsletter
Click image to read
6-page August newsletter
Click image to read