History Blog 

Building, now demolished, tells the story of the Bertier family

Alexander Bertier's family lived on North Main Street, Hannibal, from 1865 until the houses were torn down circa 1930 to make way for the approach to the original Mark Twain Memorial Bridge. STEVE CHOU COLLECTION This undated photo from Steve Chou’s collection shows a young man taking a photograph of the Tom & Huck Statue. The building at 200 North Street, which was torn down by the city of Hannibal this week, is at right. At left is the Cruikshank Lumber Company. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Little could Alexander Bertier have imagined, circa 1865, that the hillside property at 505 North Main Street that he purchased from George and Matilda L. Parker for $1,000 would one day be among the most recogn

1923: Town of Hannibal had a champion ‘chicken picker’

Griswold’s Furniture warehouse utilized the building at 309 S. Fourth St., in December 1960. In 1923, the building housed the C.F. Bishop Poultry Co., where Hannibal resident Ed Harris was a champion “chicken picker.” The building is no longer standing. OTIS HOWELL PHOTO/ STEVE CHOU COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Ed Harris excelled in a profession that was much in demand in 1923: Chicken picking. He was so good at what he did that the Courier-Post featured the Hannibal man of color, creating a descriptive reminder of a craft that ultimately died out with the advent of technology. The Palmyra Spectator picked up the story for its Jan. 10, 1923 edition. Ed Harris worked for C.F. Bishop Poultr

Marion County soldier turned horse trainer lead colorful life

“Palmyra Boy” was owned by Capt. R.L. Bowles of Marion County, Mo., until February 1899. The June 4, 1899 edition of the Inter Ocean of Chicago described the gelding’s new environment: “The black pacing gelding Palmyra Boy, 2:07 ¼, is being trained by Levi Turner, who raced his sire, Grattan, 2:13. Turner, who is a clever driver and as good a judge as any of them, is very partial to the Grattan family, as he has always found in them the race winning quality of great speed, combined with bulldog courage, and soundness. Palmyra Boy went lame last year, and some of the wise ones predicted that his racing days were over, but Turner has got him going sound again this spring, and he certainly look

Early McMaster’s Lane intent: To facilitate Hannibal/Palmyra traffic

This photo, taken circa 1969, shows the newly revamped U.S. 61 north of Hannibal. If you zoom in on this photo, you will notice that many changes have been made to the landscape in the past 49 years. The intersection of Palmyra Road and what was once known as McMaster Lane is at left. McMaster Lane was originally planned as a connector road between West Ely Road and Palmyra Road. FILES OF MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY A short notice in the Quincy Daily Journal on Nov. 2, 1915, paints an interesting portrait of the landscape of what is now one of the most heavily traveled roads in town: McMaster’s Avenue. On a Sunday afternoon in 1915 – the first Sunday in November – two cars collid

Walk of Fame
6-page July newsletter
Click image to read
6-page August newsletter
Click image to read