History Blog 

Peter Strass’s hens nearly equaled record production

This photo represents the Plymouth Rock hen, which reached its peak of popularity during the World War I era, when those back home were encouraged to produce food for their own consumption. WIKIPEDIA Peter C. Strass rests peacefully among the shade trees at Hannibal’s Holy Family Cemetery. He died in 1919. After his mother’s death in 1923, she was buried beside him. Peter was a native of Leavenworth, Kan. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Truck farmer Peter C. Strass began an experiment in November 1916, “trap nesting” his flock of Barred Plymouth Rock hens. He kept records of the hens’ egg production for a year. At the end of the year, his flock averaged 161 eggs to each hen. One hen

Popular Goody-Goody had humble beginning

This photo shows the original Goody Goody, which was located at 2629 St. Mary’s Avenue. First built and operated as a barbecue stand by Ralph and Amanda Stephens in 1925, the building would undergo renovations over the years under a series of owners, finally closing as a donut shop in 1963. Beside the shop, to the left, is a two-story building which at the time housed a grocery store at 2627 St. Mary’s Ave. In 1914, Mrs. M.C. Jessup operated a grocery store in this building, and in 1916, David Wallen operated a grocery here. Dan Perez/ TampaPix RetroMetro Oklahoma City MARY LOU MONTGOMERY In 1913, the southeast corner of Hawkins and St. Mary’s Avenue hosted a rectangular hay and grain shop,

Glimpses of St. Mary's Avenue

Important intersection: When this photo was taken in 1933, this was the intersection of Highways 61 and 36. This Frazer photo is part of Steve Chou’s collection. The Conoco filing station at right (address 2800 St. Mary’s) was operated by the Continental Oil Company. In 1937, Frank H. Walker was the Conoco district superintendent, and Sinclair Mainland was the manager of the bulk station. In 1937, the filing station to the left (2900 St. Mary’s) was operated by Smith and Wichern. (In 1925, William A. Shaw operated a car repair shop at this same site.) Beside/behind the gas station in 1937, (the side adjacent to Radcliff street) was an associated garage, and George D. Bastine also had a barbe

Artist spent his formative years along Hannibal’s St. Mary’s Ave.

Link to Velie’s art: The Saturday Evening Post has a web site dedicated to the artists who created their covers: https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/artists/robert-b-velie/ Robert B. Velie, who is credited with the Oct. 30, 1937 cover design for the Saturday Evening Post, spent his boyhood at 3000 St. Mary’s Avenue, on the northeast corner of Hill and St. Mary’s in Hannibal, Mo. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Like so many others who grew up along Hannibal’s northwest quadrant, Robert Briggs Velie likely wore out his shoe leather along St. Mary’s Avenue. From 1907 until around 1917, (when he was about 14 years old) he lived in a double-story house on the northeast corner of St. Mary

St. Mary’s Avenue: ‘metaled boulevard’

This 1949 photo shows the Adams market at 2923 St. Mary’s Avenue. At the right is the former home of J.B. and Catherine Shaw, long-time residents of the avenue. The house has been demolished. STEVE CHOW COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY In 1905, Thomas H. Bacon lent his name as the author of “Mirror of Hannibal.” This compilation gives an overview of the town’s founding and development, much of which occurred during that author’s lifetime. Bacon was an attorney and judge, and handled many noted cases during his career. He wrote from documented facts and his own memory in order to offer a lasting view of life in Hannibal as he saw it. One small passage in this respected book tells the early stor

Walk of Fame
6-page July newsletter
Click image to read
6-page August newsletter
Click image to read