n 1916, the Ringling Brothers’ Circus came to Quincy, Ill. Thomas Buckley, Quincy native, was featured as a featured clown. This illustration of a clown was found in the Aug. 31, 1914 edition of the Quincy Journal. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY By 1916, Thomas M. Buckley – 38 years old - had gained quite a reputation for himself in his hometown of Quincy, Ill. He had served a three-year enlistment during the Spanish American War, circa 1898-1902, stationed at a medical base in Manila, Philippines. He had worked with Sam Baldwin of Quincy, Ill., piloting hot air balloons, conducting parachute jumps and participating in balloon races. In addition, he had performed – in partnership with Billie Fees – in
Published in the Hannibal Courier-Post Dec. 31, 2010 Six decades ago, Mike Clark was barely tall enough to reach over the top of the new shuffleboard table in his father's bar. But that didn't stop him from shooting pucks across the salt-sprinkled grained wood surface, and building skills and self confidence that would later earn him bragging rights as a young man.
Once, while in college, Clark won 53 straight games in a Kirksville bar.
His secret: intimidation.
He told his competitors he was the best shooter in Northeast Missouri. "Get them thinking that I was good and they would be worried about that rather than playing the game," he said.
"The object is to knock the other guy off
The Crystal pool hall and bowling alley were located one door to the south of the old bus depot on South Main Street. The Crystal establishment was in business in this location for nearly 45 years. STEVE CHOU COLLECTION MARY LOU MONTGOMERY For four and a half decades – beginning in the early 1920s and continuing into the late 1960s – the Crystal Billiard Parlor at 205 S. Main St., Hannibal, Mo., served as an option for idle-hours recreation. Added later, on the second floor of the building (now demolished) was a bowling alley, which also contributed to the town’s leisure-time offerings. The bowling and billiard parlor occupied a key location in Hannibal’s business district, directly across t
The building on the left, located on the northeast corner of North Maple and Broadway in Hannibal, previously housed offices for local physicians. Dr. John Chamberlain conducted business in this building – which has been structurally altered over the years – until his death in 1891. The next physician to move into the office space was Dr. Robert H. Goodier. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY In 1894, Dr. Robert H. Goodier, a long-established Hannibal physician, strategically moved his office from a storefront located within the Market Street Wedge, 148 Market, to a more visible and accessible building located on the northeast corner of N. Maple and Broadway, (1050 Broadway.) The office
This photo, taken in March 2016, shows the upper story of the DeGaris building, 407-409 Broadway. Lewis V. Ross, a Hannibal carpenter, fell to his death from a third-story window in 1893. For a number of years, William and Edward DeGaris operated a drug store on the first floor of this building. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Lewis V. Ross grew up on Hannibal’s Fourth Street, south side, (later renamed Sycamore) the son of a Hannibal carpenter named William Ross, and wife Caroline. Among the younger of the couple’s half-dozen or so children, his birth into Hannibal’s population came around 1853, positioning him for an eye-witness view of the travesties of the war between the states,