History Blog 

Hannibal man plays key role in early St. Louis hotel management

This illustration represents the St. Nicholas Hotel in St. Louis. After his father-in-law’s death on July 3, 1878, Marcus Elzea, who grew up in Hannibal, tried to make a go of the business on his own. Circumstances prevented his success, and he closed the hotel in November 1879. (Sept 15 1878 Sonntagsblatt de Amerika, via Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers, Gale, Hannibal Free Public Library) This sketch portrays H. Clay Sexton, long-time St. Louis fire chief, who told about the history of the St. Nicholas Hotel following an 1884 fire which demolished the pre-Civil war building. The illustration was published in the St. Louis Post Dispatch Jan. 1, 1894. Newspapers.com. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY On

1883: Elzea farmland divided to create unique subdivision

This section of the 1913 Sanborn map for Hannibal, Mo., shows the details of the layout of Elzea’s addition (circled in red). The block to the left of Robinson Street is in the flat valley, and the two blocks to the right of Robinson Street are “up the hill.” Lally Street was later renamed Vermont. Lynda Kennedy Pack recently shared this photo of 1505 Vermont St., Hannibal, Mo., on the Growing Up In Hannibal Facebook page. Her great-grandparents, Tony and Nona White, formerly owned and occupied this property, and Lynda lived there when a young girl. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Located south of the railroad tracks, to the east of Mills Creek, to the west of Robinson Cemetery and south of Bear Creek,

German family worked together in order to build a lasting legacy

John Loetterle (1868-1929) is pictured with two young children in front of the grocery and feed store that he operated for more than two decades on the southwest corner of Fourth and Palmyra Road in Hannibal, Mo. He died a bachelor. Photo from the Steve Chou collection. This 1930 atlas segment shows part of Township 56 North, Range 5 West, Ralls County, Mo. Trabue Lane is outlined in red, and the Charles Loetterle farmland is circled. Charles Loetterle’s mother was still living at the time this atlas was published. John Loetterle’s store was advertised in the 1905 Hannibal Free Public Library. Accessed via the library’s web site. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Under a canopy of pines and native oaks at

‘Overland’ vehicles popular with Marion County drivers

The panoramic photo shows Overland car dealers in Hannibal on Sept. 24, 1919. The participants are posing in front of a newly constructed building (which still stands) on the northeast corner of Broadway and Ninth. Louis G. Wilhelm was the Overland dealer in Hannibal at the time. Photo courtesy of Steve Chou. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY In 1915, Louis G. Wilhelm of Hannibal made a daring move for a retail grocer doing business in Hannibal’s Wedge neighborhood; he traded his work apron for a business suit, and his shop keys for the keys to his future occupation: An automobilist. Wilhelm opened his first automobile shop circa 1915 – Hannibal Overland - near the intersection of Market and Broadway, 122

Walk of Fame
6-page July newsletter
Click image to read
6-page August newsletter
Click image to read