Little family left an impact upon Hannibal
Steve Chou, Hannibal’s master historic photo collector, recently shared this photo of the Little Cigar Shop in Hannibal on Facebook. He identified John Little, proprietor, in the center of the three men pictured in front of the store. The two men on his sides may be Mr. Little’s sons, John Little Jr., and Charles Little.
In 1907, John and Sarah Little’s daughter, Nettie L. Little, was a teacher at Hannibal’s West School, which was later renamed Eugene Field School.
This rare photo depicts a short-lived business, owned by a man who had several careers during his lifetime.
The photo shows the shop that he operated in 1911, located at 308 N. Main.
Prior to his role as a cigar manufacturer, Mr. Little was a teamster in 1900, and in 1907 he was a city policeman. In 1920, the Hannibal city directory lists his occupation as a stock farmer.
From 1892 to pre-1910, the family lived at 631 Union on Hannibal’s South Side. Beginning in 1911, the city directory lists the family’s address at 636 Union.
John Euselius Little, the son of James J. Little and Mary Yates Little, was born in 1857, and died on Nov. 14, 1939, in Hannibal, at the age of 82. He is buried at Saint Stephens Catholic Cemetery, Indian Creek, Monroe County, Mo.
To see Steve Chou's facebook post, click here.