James William Little spent the better part of a century in Marion County, Missouri.
When he died in 1938, his passing was noted in a Hannibal newspaper, and preserved in a scrapbook kept by his family.
He was born at Palmyra, Missouri, Nov. 28, 1838 (some records note 1844), the son of Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Little. His father was at one time constable and administrator of Marion County. James William Little was employed as a foreman of the sack house at the cement plant until 1915 when he engaged in farming.
At the time of his death he was survived by his children, Miss Ella Little and Mrs. Emma Rogers of Hannibal, Arch Little of Salt Lake City, Utah, and Mrs. Della Tully in whose home Mr. Little had been living for 12 years. One brother, George, of Sullivan, Mo., five grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren also survived. Mrs. Tulley lived on Hannibal Route 3, near the entrance to the Mark Twain cave.
Mr. Little’s wife, Mrs. Susan Little, died in March 1925. She was born May 2, 1845, on a ship on which her father, the late Joseph Abbel, was a sailor, en route to New Orleans, La. The family later settled in Ralls County.
James William Little and Susan Abbel were married at St. Paul, near Center in Ralls County, in 1863.
The Littles later moved south of Hannibal, where both Mr. and Mrs. Little died.
A newspaper article published in recognition of Mr. Little’s 82 birthday noted that he was employed in truck gardening south of Hannibal, and sold produce to South Side residents.
Photo below: Susan Ann Abell Little