Linda and Jonathan Brocaille have called 117 N. Hayden St., Hannibal, home for the last decade. The house was built by Samuel Richardson for his family during the second decade of the 20th century. Jonathan Brocaille vowed as a child to one day own this “mansion.” CONTRIBUTED Second installment in a two-part series MARY LOU MONTGOMERY As we walk confidently through each day, we must be reminded that life itself is very fragile. There is but a fraction of a second between: “Whew, that was close,” and “Oh, dear God!” Seconds change the course of history. Such was the case for Samuel Richardson, a Hannibal contractor, and his son, Gerald, on a stormy Monday evening at the end of July 1919. They
At the top of a hill, in Mt. Olivet Cemetery’s Section 6, a monument pays tribute to Robert Richardson and his son William Richardson. They resettled in Hannibal from Conococheague Creek, Md., soon after the end of the Civil War. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY MARY LOU MONTGOMERY Just 29 miles south of Conococheague Creek, Md., exists the site of what is known as the Bloodiest One Day Battle in American History. The date was Sept. 17, 1862, and the place was Sharpsburg, Md. The site is now known as the Antietam National Battlefield, where 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after a dozen hours of combat. In 1860, Robert Richardson and his son, William Richardson were living together with th
Frank Johann is pictured in front of his long-time home at 1921 Pleasant Street. Note that brick has replaced the early white siding on the house. Also note the rock wall in front of the house, adjoining Pleasant Street. When this wall began to crumble, it was replaced with railroad ties. Note that Johann is pictured with crutches. JOHANN FAMILY PHOTO/SUSAN TOURNEY Frank Johann is pictured in front of the family home at 1921 Pleasant Street, Hannibal, Mo., in 1926. Note the white siding; sometime after this day the house was bricked. Frank, a bachelor, would live in the home until his death in 1958. Notice the pattern on the roof. These tiles with the unique design remain on the roof today.
This photo, contributed by Linda Thompson, is believed to be Aaron Booth, left, and a step brother, in 1879 in Kansas. Aaron Booth moved to Marion County, Missouri, prior to 1895, and lived in this county for the remainder of his life. MARY LOU MONTGOMERY If Aaron Booth could have turned back the hands of time at the beginning of January 1906, he might have chosen to go back to mid August, 1895, when he was managing 120 acres of corn on the Bowles farm near Marion City. That summer, he brought into town a stalk of corn measuring 15 feet tall, grown in the fertile bottomland near the Mississippi River. That one stalk, which he had on display at the boathouse along Hannibal’s riverfront, hoste