top of page

Clements had pivotal West End home site

This picture, taken in October 1983, shows Broadway Extension, prior to the construction of the Grand Avenue cut through which linked Grand to the current intersection with Broadway. The white frame house, partially obstructed by trees which have lost their leaves, was the home of the James Clement family in 1895. The large brick house behind it, on the hill, is now addressed 1242 Broadway, and has recently been listed for sale. This photo was taken by Bill Partee, and is part of Steve Chou’s vast history collection. 


A sheet of ice and snow covered the ground in Hannibal on Friday, Feb. 8, 1901, causing a treacherous condition for horses and mules alike.

Chris Raible, whose grocery was at 116-118 Market St., saw three horses fall in front of his store. James Clement, who operated a tin shop in the100 block of Market, noted that a mule fell in front of his business. And lastly, according to the Hannibal Weekly Journal, a large bay mare, driven by Dan Gilbert, fell on the slippery paved street at the junction of Market and Broadway. The horse sustained a broken leg, and could not rise to her feet. The newspaper noted that the horse was killed in mercy to relieve her from suffering, and was then hauled to Schnizlein’s Rendering Works, 407 Market.

The junction at the Wedge was a busy commercial center, as well as residential neighborhood.

The neighborhood

A white frame house, located on property that now serves as the intersection of Grand Avenue and Broadway, was an early home for the aforementioned tinner, James Clement, and his family.

He and his wife, who spent most of their married life in Hannibal, may have been the first occupants of the house located at 1234 (later renumbered 1238) Broadway Extension, beginning circa 1894. While their residency in this house wasn’t long, it was nonetheless noteworthy.

The house would be torn down during the early 1980s in order to facilitate a major change in the Grand/Broadway intersection.

Clement family

The couple’s first child, George L. Clement, was born in 1861 in Pike County, Mo. The young family moved to Hannibal by 1863, where James Clement registered for military service prior to the Civil War.

He registered along with other Hannibal residents at the time, including Wm. P. Carstarphen, druggist; James W. Cannon, shoe maker; William G. Chrisham, tobacco roller; and Benton Coontz, merchant.

After serving 211 days with Company A, Missouri Volunteers, he returned to Hannibal and his family.

A tinner by trade, after the war James Clement went to work for the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, which operated the first rail route across Missouri. He served as foreman for the railroad’s tin shop.

By 1870, two more children had joined the family; Nettie Clement, born in 1865; and Charlie Clement, born circa 1870.

The Clement family lived in South Hannibal, during those early years, first on Fourth Street (Sycamore) and later at 306 Third (South Main). The children attended the South Hannibal school, located on Fifth Street, South Hannibal, between Walnut and Union. John W. Ayres was the school principal.

Beginning in the mid to late 1880s, James Clement was working on his own account. He operated a stove and tinware shop at 716 Broadway, in a building where the family also made their home. (The building is now occupied by Dempsey, Dempsey and Hilts, attorneys.)

He next moved his shop to 1204 Broadway, where he operated a hardware store in partnership with B.F. Jones. By 1901, as previously mentioned, he was in business at 109 Market.

Civil War pension

On July 3, 1901, the Hannibal Courier-Post reported:

“Mr. Clement’s good fortune

“James Clement, the well known Market Street tinner, was, on July 1, granted a pension of $8 per month.”

By the time of his death in 1908, his pension had increased to $15 per month.

Living at 1234 Broadway Extension in 1895 were:

Charles L. Clement, who lived out his life in Hannibal.

Miss Nettie M. Clement.

James Clement, the family patriarch, and his wife, Susan.

By 1901, the extended family had moved to a duplex at 1550 Broadway Extension (later renumbered 1704 and still standing, on the north side of the street), and were joined by Will E. Clement, the couple’s grandson.

Subsequent occupants at 1234 Broadway Extension included:

1901: Morton C. Wealder and his wife Sallie. He was foreman for Standard Printing Co.

1905: Charles E. Velie, a contractor, and wife, Birdie.

1907: Thurston Parker, plasterer.

1909: George M. and Mary Smith

1911: Frank A. Herl, and wife, Clara. He was a bartender for Edward J. Sharkey’s saloon, 233 N. Main. (The Herls were married in December 1909 by Rev. Father Sullivan.)

Mary Lou Montgomery retired as editor of the Hannibal (Mo.) Courier-Post in 2014. She researches and writes narrative-style stories about the people who served as building blocks for this region’s foundation. Books available on by this author include but are not limited to: "The Notorious Madam Shaw," "Pioneers in Medicine from Northeast Missouri," "The Historic Murphy House, Hannibal, Mo., Circa 1870,” “Hannibal’s ‘West End,’ and the newest book, “Oakwood: West of Hannibal.” Montgomery can be reached at Her collective works can be found at


 Recent Posts 
bottom of page