Standard Oil filling station made way for Courier-Post parking lot


The Courier-Post moved into the building at Center and Third streets, downtown Hannibal, in 1952. Otis Howell, newspaper photographer, took a photo of the parking lot, which featured an old Standard Oil filing station. When Standard Oil began building stations in 1916, it began numbering them starting with 81. The Hannibal station was 83, making it the third Standard Oil filling station in the entire country. When the Hannibal Courier-Post purchased the building at Center and Third, this old station was torn down to allow for parking. The previous owner, Hannibal Motor Company, had used this old filling station building for their used car sales office. Sept. 20, 1952. OTIS HOWELL PHOTO

 Recent Posts