The Hannibal Congregational church committee, under financial duress, had locked the doors to the magnificent church structure at Lyon and Sixth streets, and subsequently sold it to the Catholics on July 18, 1880. The church was ultimately renamed the Immaculate Conception Church.
Capt. Charles W. Curts, a riverboat pilot and childhood friend of Sam Clemens, owned the property at the southwest corner of Fifth and Broadway, Hannibal, Mo., in 1880. He was approached by the leaders of the Congregational Church about selling the land for construction of a new church.
Capt. Curts agreed, and sold the corner lot for $3,200. The sale was noted in the St. Louis Globe Democrat on Dec. 1, 1880. (Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers)
The church was to cost $25,000, and building was to be started early in the spring. The deed wasin the name of Rev. Dr. Goodell, of St Louis.
This 1951 photo of 105 S. Fifth St., Hannibal, Mo., by Otis Howell of the Hannibal Courier-Post, is part of the Steve Chou collection.
In 1946, the church building at 105 S. Fifth Street, Hannibal, served the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and home for the Mark Twain Townsend Club # 1.
In 1957, the building housed the Knights of Columbus Council #907.
In 1957, Russell Rhino lived in the house to the left of the K of C Hall.
The F&M bank is now located on this site.
To read a comprehensive story about the history of the Congregational Church, Click here.